Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (thick and chewy)

I go back-and-forth when it comes to blogging, and especially here! I find myself in the same position as most people...with too much to do besides maintaining a blog. I do make new recipes almost weekly, but don't have time or the extra energy to photograph and write-up. It's hard enough just to keep up with the priorities!

Also, I was thinking that since most of my recipes are just from other sites, I *could* still post here more often, but leave the write-ups to the original site, or some mix in between. If it involved me just taking a snapshot of the finished product and letting you know my opinion, while linking you to the recipe, that should be good enough, right? haha. I will definitely post any originals when they arise, but without having much time to think in the kitchen this season of my life, that's not very likely to happen anytime in the next few weeks or months.

Today I am going to post a very simple recipe made with things I already had at home from a site I admire.  Brown-eyed Baker (no, not me lol) is a really cool place for some awesome treats.

I am a fan of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, but prefer them to be more like regular chocolate chip cookies in that they are soft, moist, and thick, as opposed to thin and crispy. Aaaaand...I found this wonderful recipe :) Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
^^ That is the original, but I will display her recipe + my tweaks below because I feel like she made the baking a little too complicated for my liking, and mine turned out just perfect. I also cut the recipe in half. (baking for only 2!)


INGREDIENTS: (for 1/2 of full batch)
3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
Optional (my addition): a few tbsp powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
3. Cream together the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg (if increasing recipe, add them one at a time) and then mix in the vanilla.
4. Stir in the flour mixture, then stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
5. Using ~2 tablespoons per cookie, roll the dough into balls and place on the cookie sheets, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top of each, if you want.
6. Bake until the cookie edges are just turning golden brown, but the middles are still quite pale, about 12 to 14 minutes.
7. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack (or mouth! ohmygoshYUM).


The cookie dough might be a little sticky when you make it; that's fine. But if you chill it in the fridge it'll become less, and I noticed that when I take the left-over dough out to make a fresh batch for a treat after dinner, the cold dough seems to bake very nicely...I still bake the same time, but the cookies stay a tad thicker.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That looks so mouth-watering. YOU are my favorite brown-eyed baker. Just sayin'... SO looking forward to cooking and baking with you.

    ReplyDelete