Monday, March 11, 2013

Thai Chicken Quinoa


Today in recipe-land, I bring you to thai chicken quinoa!
I am not exactly sure how I stumbled upon this little gem, but my husband and I love "thai" and "chicken" and "quinoa", so I found it necessary to give this a shot! Be careful, if you aren't a fan of hot(ish) spice, this dish may not be for you.

The recipe is from: here . I will definitely be saving this blog for future recipe reference!

Ingredients  (for 2):
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
2 chicken breasts
1/3 cup chopped carrots
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro

--Sauce--
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce (we used Sriracha)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon canned coconut milk
1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon creamy peanut butter (it mixes in easier if it's melted, FYI)
1 garlic clove
1/2 lime, juice
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions
Shred the chicken! Essentially...
1. Cut fat off of the chicken breasts, and pound even. Hint! Cover the chicken with plastic wrap on the cutting board, so when you pound the chicken flat it doesn't spray raw chicken all over the kitchen. EW.
2. Boil water and add chicken breasts, boil for ~20 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink. Don't over cook so it doesn't get all rubbery!
3. Allow to cool a little, then shred.

4. Prepare quinoa according to directions, which will most likely call for 1 cup of liquid. I prefer to use low-sodium chicken stock, so use it if you have it.
5. While quinoa is cooking, combine all of the sauce ingredients together in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
6. Once quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid, stir in the sauce and toss well to coat.
7. Add in chicken, carrots, and green onions, stirring to combine. Taste and season with a little salt and pepper if needed.
8. Toss in half of the peanuts and cilantro and mix, then serve and top with remaining peanuts and cilantro.

If there are other ingredients commonly used in Thai meals that you'd like to add, say edamame (the original recipe calls for this. there wasn't any at the grocery store when I was there, so I didn't include here) or peas, I'm sure they would fit in perfectly well!

A side that I love to include with asian dishes (goes well with chicken teriyaki as well) is onion and zucchini. I will post a recipe for that soon (it's ridiculously easy).


It was delicious!!! 

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious, and I don't even eat meat! A+, Lesley :)

    ReplyDelete