Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Brownie bites

Call me crazy, but I am NOT a brownie person. I have only met one other person in my life who isn't a brownie fanatic, haha! Just because I don't enjoy consuming brownies doesn't mean I don't love making them for others, though. :) That being said, Sal is a brownie man and I feel bad that I don't think to make them often since I don't prefer them. I am always seeing cool and cute twists on brownies on pinterest and plan on pursuing some recipes in the future. My first goal is to figure out a basic brownie recipe (from scratch). I want to do this because it will allow more freedom to tweak the recipe since I know exactly what is put in and what interacts well and nearly most importantly--portion control! Since Sal is the only one eating brownies in our house and I don't want him to get diabetes (lol) I like being able to make half-batches or less at my choosing.

I discovered this recipe and decided to make bite-sized because I don't have a small enough pan yet to make a little tray. Either way, they turned out great and are just the right size to satiate your sweet tooth.

So anyway, onto super easy brownie bites!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
  • 1/2 cup white, granulated sugar
    • I will probably be trying to work out a new recipe at some point, there are other, healthier, less-processed sweeteners out there. I just have to learn how to bake with them.
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder (NOT soda)
  • Optional:
    • chocolate chips
I used a non-stick mini-muffin pan, so my baking directions are written with that in mind. You can bake brownies in a small (4 inch square, or 8 inch square (standard) if you double the recipe) pan for double the cooking time. You could also try a normal-sized muffin pan, although I'm not sure the time you would use. If you try it, let me know! Seems like they would be similar to the size of a normal brownie.

Directions:
NOTE: do not use an electric mixer for this recipe.
  1. Preheat your oven to 350 F.
  2. Crack open your egg into a bowl. Using a fork or whisk, mix it up well.
  3. Add the sugar and vanilla to the egg, mixing as best as you can. (You pre-mix all of this so when adding to the whole you aren't spending too much time stirring up the egg. The more you mix in the egg, air can get in the mix and this will cause your brownies to turn out more cake-like/less dense.)
      Eggs, sugar, vanilla.
  4. In a different bowl, mix the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder.
      Dry ingredients.
  5. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.

  6. Remove from heat and stir in the egg/sugar/vanilla mix.
  7. Finally, mix in the dry ingredients, stirring well. 
    Batter before spooning into the pan!
  8. I added in about a half-cup of mini milk chocolate chips just to make it more rich, you don't have to do this to get great brownies, though.
  9. Add about a tbsp of batter to the mini-muffin pan spaces. Remember to use muffin cups or prep the spaces with shortening and flour (ask if you need help with how to do that :) ). If you have a dark, non-stick pan you don't need to do any extra work.
  10. Cook the brownies for approx 10-13 minutes. To check if they're done, stick a toothpick in the center of one to make sure it comes out clean (without wet batter on it).
  11. Remove from oven and allow to sit/cool for about 5 minutes. 
  12. Take a spoon and they should neatly pop out of the pan! 
Recipe makes about 12 mini-brownie bites :)

Had to taste-test one...


By the way, my brownie connoisseur (Sal) LOVED them! He had some fresh out of the oven with some chocolate moosetracks frozen yogurt on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment