Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Alfredo sauce

At Sam's club the other week Sal and I picked up some ravioli...one type being "grilled chicken and four cheeses with a hint of garlic". For some strange reason I don't particularly like chicken with tomato-based sauces...so I decided to try an alfredo! :D
After making this, I found I really enjoyed the sauce. I can see how it is quite customize-able, allowing you to use different cheeses if you like! I made the traditional type with parmesan. The only negative aspect of this meal was that it was too cheesy (for my taste). I thought the ravioli was going to be much more "chicken" than "cheese"...and I was wrong. :-P

Anyway, here is the recipe. It's super easy!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup (half stick) butter
  • 1 cup heavy cream (you can find this by specialty milks (soy) and creamers)
  • 1 clove garlic (minced, crushed, pressed, whatever!)
  • 1 1/2 cup parmesan--don't use the kind you think of for spaghetti in the green shake container, I recommending using the flakey kind, or grate your own. It'll melt down easy and taste the best!)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I didn't have any and it tasted fine, but I could see how this would be nice!)
  • So easy!
  • Something to eat with the sauce! As I mentioned, I used chicken ravioli

Delicious, extremely cheesy!
 Directions:
  1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
  2. Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir often. The butter and cream don't mix super well, but just keep stirring and heating. This is normal!
  3. Add garlic and cheese, whisk quickly, heating it all through. It'll take a little bit for the cheese to melt and it might be clumping, so the whisking is definitely necessary. If you don't have a whisk, of course you can just use a fork!

  4. Stir in parsley (if you're using it) and serve over your noodles or ravioli or ... ! :D
Sorry I don't have a picture of the sauce over the ravioli, but it looks pretty much just like what you'd expect alfredo to look like, maybe just a little bit thinner than your average Italian alfredo. Note that if you let the sauce sit or have left over you are storing, make sure you stir it up again well as some of the ingredients separate after resting.

1 comment:

  1. We make alfredo almost the exact same way, only I add a dash of cayenne to mine because I love spicy food. haha.

    I know you're focused on healthy eating, but if you ever need an additional item for this dish or if you just want a treat, I usually make cheesy garlic bread. It's basically just wheat bread (because I like wheat bread best), a thin layer of butter, garlic, a little bit of parsley,and mozzarella. Pop it in the oven for a few minutes, and voila...delish!

    ReplyDelete